Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Octet Rule, Bohr Diagram, and the Lewis Dot Diagram


The Octet rule is a rule that states that atoms with eight electrons on the outer shell, tend to bond more easily, and that when an atom has 8 electrons on its outer shell, it is at its maximum capacity and the next electron will be placed on a new shell. For example Neon has eight electrons on its outer shell. The next element on the periodic table is Sodium with 11 electrons, two on the first shell, 8 on the second shell, and the last electron, because according to the octet rule, the second shell is full, the last electron goes onto a new third shell. a definition of the octet rule is; The observation that atoms of nonmetals tend to form the most stable molecules when they are surrounded by eight electrons (to fill their valence orbitals).Also, the route of the octet rule is Oct meaning eight. Some examples of the octet rule are; (see pictures).

The Bohr Diagram is a diagram of a specific atom, used to show how may elections, neutrons and protons it contains. You can also use the periodic table to help you make this graph. If you look at what row the element is in, you can figure out how many shells it has. If you look at the number on the element, you can see how many protons it contains. Also, it is the number of neutrons, and electrons. An interesting fact is that if you double the number, you get the atomic mass. The inner area of the atom contains ONLY the protons and the neutrons, and the shells contain the electrons. Note, that on the first shell, there is a maximum of 2 shells, and on any additional shell added there is a maximum of eight shells (see the example of Argon in the picture).

The lewis dot diagram, or the electron dot diagram, is a drawing of an atom, used to sow how it can bond with valence electrons. valence electrons are electrons outside filled rings or shells. They are the outer electrons.

3 comments:

  1. Anze, I found this post to be quite impressive. Not only were you able to find relevant images to utilize in the post, but you embedded an explanation within the images to help the reader to understand them. From what I could see, you seem to understand Lew Dot Structures well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. But the pictures I made not found. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Benjamin That Save My Family From Financial Bondage {  247officedept@gmail.com  }

    Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Benjamin, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by the foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Benjamin. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to  the help of Mr, Benjamin for giving me a meaning to life when i had lost all hope. If you currently seeking for a loan assistance, you can contact them via: {247officedept@gmail.com    WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete